[governance] Truths and Proofs

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:30:44 EDT 2009

A good summary, though I'm not saying it's a complete statement
because I'm not analyzing it that thoroughly, but it is good
nonetheless.  But I'd make one addition, for now:

If a person or entity thinks it is too bothersome or difficult to
measure the will of the people and obtain their consent, it takes a
lot of chutzpah, and then some, to presume to violate, structure,
frame, regulate or control the exercise of that person's freedom.
Note especially that freedom is the DEFAULT rule, it exists globally
wherever a legitimate law does not take it away.  Thus, neither ICANN
nor government can Grant rights of freedom, they exist beforehand,
they can only reduce freedom via laws, and then only if those laws are
promulgated legitimately.

For purposes of the above, I'm ignoring for the moment the substantial
issue of whether anything short of bona fide elections can provide the
necessary consent and will of the people, as well as ignoring the
extreme dubiousness of the trustability of internet-based "elections"
on topics the bulk of which will concern the fundamental business
interests of many of the most computer-savvy companies in the world,
with ample motive, means and opportunity to affect such an internet
election by "hacking" and the like.  This consideration applies
regardless of whether any such attempts occur, or not, because it is a
problem of perception based on possibility, even if we could know for
sure (and we can't) that a particular piece of software did not
contain  for example a double trojan horse.  See the classic paper
"Reflections on Trusting Trust".

Paul Lehto, Juris Doctor

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.