[governance] Congratulations

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at datos-personales.org
Sun Oct 4 23:34:20 EDT 2009

(Abstracts from Privacy & Human Rights Report. A survey of privacy law
and developments in 78 countries. (forthcoming).

Athens 2004

Greece’s security preparations cost approximately US$ 1.2 billion
dollars and involved assistance from the Olympic Advisory Group,
consisting of seven nations.[1] Their foreign expertise related to
military and counterterrorism capabilities and prior Olympic Games.
[2]  For example, the United States National Geospatial-Intelligence
Agency provided satellite imagery of the rapidly changing Athens
infrastructure prior to the Games.[3] After the Athens Games, the U.S.
Government Accountability Office recommended that security agencies
centralize their resources by “collocating intelligence and
interagency operations centers.”[4]

For the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, law enforcement authorities and
intelligence agencies used over 1,000 surveillance cameras.[5] The
Hellenic Data Protection Authority (DPA) allowed the police to use the
CCTV system only during the Olympics[6] with legal preconditions
related to location, notice, and data retention.[7] After repeatedly
approving extensions for CCTV use in public places, in 2006, the DPA
found that the police breached the terms of use (Decision 57/2006)
that limited the use of cameras to high traffic roads (Decision
63/2004).[8]

Also, the DPA fined Vodafone Greece after public reports detailed the
tapping of prominent Greek leaders’ mobile phones.[9] Vodafone and
Ericsson, the mobile phone and software providers, respectively,
revealed that unknown parties intercepted the wireless communications
from more than 100 mobile phones from the beginning of the Olympics
until March 2005.[10]

A dispute were held between the Data Protection Authority on one side,
and the Police plans to use the CCTVs cameras (installed for the
Athens Olympics to monitor traffic) to monitor public gatherings such
as protests.[11] In October 2007, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of
the police’s plan.[12] Furtheremore, an amendment of the Data
Protection Act that exclude the CCTV cameras from the scope of the
Data Protection Act was passed.[13]

In 2007, Greek Data Protection Authorities collectively resigned. The
DPA issued a statement “charging that the police ‘flagrantly violated’
the Data Protection Law, which require the cameras to be used only for
monitoring traffic and not people.”[14] The most notable Decision of
the new DPA (and their members) was reached in March 2008, allowing
crime prevention authorities to acquire phone records from
telecommunications operators while carrying out their investigations
without notifying the individuals concerned.[15]

[1] Government Accountability Office, Olympic Security: U.S. Support
to Athens Games Provides

Lessons for Future Olympics 5-6, GAO-05-547, May 2005, available at <http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d05547.pdf
 > (the Olympic Advisory Group consisted of Australia, France, German,
Israel, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States).

[2] Id.

[3] See id. at 14.

[4] Id. at 22.

[5] “Athens to Be on Full Alert for Games,” The Ottawa Citizen,
November, 24, 2000.

[6] “Privacy Watchdog Approve Use of Street Camera, But Only During
Games,” Kathimerini, May 5, 2004.

[7] E-mail from Fereniki Panagopoulou, to Cedric Laurant, Policy
Counsel, Electronic Privacy Information Center, June 25, 2004 (on file
with EPIC). See also Hellenic Data Protection Authority, Decision
28/03.05.2004, available at <http://www.dpa.gr/decs.htm> (in Greek).

[8] Greek DPA website, available at <http://www.dpa.gr/portal/page?_pageid=33,15048&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
 >.

[9] Greek Privacy Watchdog Fines Vodaphone Over Wiretapping Scandal,
International Herald Tribune Europe, December 14, 2006, available at <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/12/14/europe/EU_GEN_Greece_Wiretaps_Vodaphone.php
 >.

[10] Id.

[11] Law No.3625/2007.

[12] Christine Pirovolakis, “Greek Privacy Chief Resigns in Protest
Over Camera Monitoring of Demonstrators,” BNA. Privacy Law & Security,
Volume 6, Number 47, December 3, 2007, available at <http://
www.bna.com>.

[13] Law No.3625/2007.

[14] Christine Pirovolakis, “Greek Privacy Chief Resigns in Protest
Over Camera Monitoring of Demonstrators,” BNA, Privacy Law & Security,
Volume 6 Number 47, December 3, 2007, available at <http://www.bna.com>.

[15] Decision No.19/2008.