[governance] Congratulations

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at datos-personales.org
Sun Oct 4 23:24:01 EDT 2009

  (Abstracts from Privacy & Human Rights Report. A survey of privacy
law and developments in 78 countries. (forthcoming).

Countries that host the Olympics increasingly ignore privacy
considerations in their preparation for the Games and beyond in the
name of security and counterterrorism. Violations of individuals’
privacy under constitutional, statutory, and international frameworks
range from the loss of anonymity in public places to the inability to
communicate and associate freely with others. The coverage and
capabilities of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) has risen
dramatically from the Games in Athens, Greece to the recent ones in
Beijing, China. Technological advances incorporate CCTV surveillance
systems with those related to electronic wiretapping, identification
systems, and intelligence sharing. These purported counterterrorism
measures have been developed and implemented with the assistance of
foreign governments, some of which claim to support transparency and
democratic values. The record US$ 6.4 billion dollars China was spent
on surveillance equipment for the Games in Beijing represents a
greater than fourfold increase compared to the ones in Athens.[1] The
damage to individuals’ privacy rights and civil liberties continues
beyond the Closing Ceremonies.

(...)

[1] Dexter Roberts, “China: Bombings Add to Olympics Terrorism Fears,”
BusinessWeek, July 28, 2008, available at <http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jul2008/gb20080728_898768.htm?campaign_id=rss_daily
2004 Olympics”, available at <http://icj.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/17/3/220