[governance] 30 Sept 2009 EU Commission / English / Français

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 14:28:43 EDT 2009

Let's not be fooled into thinking that a voluntary "loss" for the
United States of America and its Commerce Department is somehow a win
for global governance of the internet -- because NOTHING of any remote
equivalence on the global level takes the place of US control of
ICANN.   I.e., there is no "governance" in the global solution that is
the attractive package for total abdication of Public authority and
control (even if the "public" was too narrowly restricted to the USA,
given the internet's global reach).

Just below, with >'s, is the best summary paragraph of this tectonic
shift in governance (under the guise of increasing accountability),
followed by my comments in square brackets like these [...]

The bottom line, however,  is that no matter what the details are of
the "advisory" relationship between GAC and ICANN, it lacks the
following crucial elements entirely, while simultaneously claiming
this will help protect these things:

(1) public CONTROL (advice or "input" is no substitute for public control)

(2) Constitutional RIGHTS:  This privatization or independence for
ICANN, if upheld, means the US Constitution (and of course every other
binding national constitution) is rendered irrelevant, whereas
beforehand with government control (exercised or not) one had either
rights or arguments that constitutional rights apply. Constitutions in
the West with very rare exception generally do not apply to private
corporations at all, whether for profit or nonprofit.  Thus, ICANN is
pulled out from the protection of rights and public control, and freed
to be unaccountable (though they'll likely pose as really good
"listeners") and to ignore the rights and interests of the public,
except where they find it convenient to go along.  But without the
crucial element of control (and the remedy of voting someone out of
office is an attenuated one already) there's literally no leverage the
public has to do anything about a nonresponsive ICANN

(3) Enforceable Remedies.

THe only question is whether ICANN acts or will act somewhat like
philosopher kings, fooling people into thinking their interests are
"represented" when they aren't except by accidental alignment with the
ideas of the aristocrats, or whether they act more like the average
non-democratic rulers throughout world history, which is to say, like
tyrants or dictators.

On 10/1/09, Dr. Francis MUGUET <muguet at mdpi.net> wrote:
> [...]
> communication, que l'ICANN soit davantage tenu de rendre des comptes à
> la communauté internationale, que son processus de prise de décision
> devienne plus transparent et que le rôle des autorités nationales quant
> aux activités de l'ICANN qui concernent les politiques publiques soit
> clarifié (voir IP/09/951
> <http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/09/951&format=HTML&aged=0&language=FR&guiLanguage=fr>
> ). La décision américaine annoncée aujourd'hui montre que les États-Unis
> ont pour l'essentiel les mêmes préoccupations et les mêmes objectifs.
>
> Prochaines étapes
>
> Une autre question importante dans le domaine de la gouvernance de
> l'internet est la poursuite du Forum sur la gouvernance de l'internet
> (IGF), qui avait initialement été établi pour 5 ans et qui s'était réuni
> pour la première fois en 2006. Ce forum est un lieu de débat privilégié
> pour tous ceux qui participent à la gouvernance de l'internet. La
> Commission européenne souhaite qu'il poursuive ses activités car il
> s'agit de la seule enceinte où tous les sujets en rapport avec
> l'internet peuvent être abordés par un large éventail de parties
> prenantes du monde entier, et notamment les représentants des parlements.
>
> Contexte
>
> Les noms de domaines et les adresses IP sont indispensables pour que le
> trafic internet atteigne sa destination. L'organisme chargé de définir
> les politiques globales de coordination du système de noms de domaine
> (DNS) est l'ICANN, un organisme ayant le statut juridique de société à
> but non lucratif établi en Californie. Depuis sa création en 1998, le
> fonctionnement de l'ICANN est régi par une série de protocoles d'accord
> avec le gouvernement américain spécifiant les objectifs de ses activités
> en ce qui concerne le DNS. Le dernier de ces protocoles d'accord, le
> «Joint Project Agreement», expirera le 30 septembre 2009. En mai
> dernier, la commissaire européenne Viviane Reding avait présenté les
> grandes lignes de sa vision pour l'avenir de la gouvernance de
> l'internet dans un message vidéo (voir IP/09/696
> <http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/09/696&format=HTML&aged=0&language=FR&guiLanguage=fr>
> ):
>
> http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barroso/reding/video/text/message_20090504.pdf
>

> Annex
>
> Growth of internet users by regions of the world
> 1990-2008, in millions of users

> Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D
>
> MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
> http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
> muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net
>
> KNIS http://knis.org
> Academic Collaboration / University of Geneva
> http://syinf.unige.ch/recherche/cooperation
>

> Mobile France       +33 6 71 91 42 10
>        Switzerland  +41 78 927 06 97
>        Cameroun    +237 96 55 69 62 ( mostly in July )
>
> World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1
Ishpeming, MI  49849
lehto.paul at gmail.com