Extending Rights to the Internet: (Was RE: [governance] Example of Corporate Internet Authoritarianism -

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:36:59 EST 2009

Thanks Meryem,

I agree with your reformulation of my rather awkward initial formulation...
My one caveat (and here I'm again demonstrating my lack of familiarity with
the "Rights" discourse) is that the statement "access to the Internet as a
necessary requirement for the full exercize of democracy" seems to me rather
too narrow in that one could add/substitute
"development"/"health"/"education"/and so on for your terminology of
"democracy".

Meryem: "I would rather state it differently: access to the Internet as a
necessary requirement for the full exercize of democracy and one's
fundamental right requires that there are accessible tools that allow for or
facilitate the use of the Internet."

Mike