[governance] Example of Corporate Internet Authoritarianism -

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:50:56 EST 2009

I think that Bill's casual dismissal of this issue is not appropriate.

The logic here is surely the same as the overall logic of a "Right to the
Internet" (remembering that I claim no expertise in the domain of discussion
around "Rights"...

If access to the Internet is a necessary requirement for participation in an
"Information Society" then access to the tools that allow for or facilitate
the use of the Internet especially when those tools are linked into some
sort of monopolistic position with respect to the use of the Internet should
surely fall under that rubric.

I don't know the details of the case under discussion here but it would
follow that if certain information is only accessible on the Internet via a
certain tool then denial of access to that tool is the same as denial of
access to that information.

The interesting addition here from other "Right to the Internet" discussions
(which have I believe, dealt for the most part with access to "national"
information) is that the denial of access to information is within the
international sphere i.e. access of information from one country by someone
in another country and thus raises the issue of an authority which could
support/enforce a "Right to the Internet" at a global level.

MBG