[governance] What happened with the hubs?

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Nov 25 07:43:13 EST 2009

Hi

On Nov 25, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Roland Perry wrote:

> In message <1259135395.3296.379.camel at anriette-laptop>, at 09:49:55 on Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> writes
>> At one of the workshops I participated in, the 'Development Agenda'
>> workshop on the 17th organised by Bill Drake, remote participation
>> worked extremely well.
>>
>> This must in large part have to do with Derrick Cogburn's excellent
>> handling of the process, as well as Bill's sensitivity to the remote
>> participants, and the fact that it was a three hour workshop which meant
>> there was sufficient time to include the remote participants.
>
> Maybe that's the answer - bringing the audience more positively into the picture. When I was on a panel, there was someone monitoring the remote participation, and periodically asking if anyone had any comments, but none were forthcoming. But that was a room without video - and it was never fully clear to me how many of the non-video rooms had an audio-cast.
>
>> I also found it helpful as a panellist to have the remote participation
>> (Eluminate) interface open on my laptop which enabled me to interact
>> with the remote participants directly.
>
> Is that the same application that was running the webcast? (Which had a note on it asking on-site people not to use it because of bandwidth issues)? Maybe part of the panel preparations should be giving at least the chair/moderator a laptop which is pre-registered with the relevant room.

There were two platforms running in parallel.  Derrick arranged to provide Elluminate, which included voice, video, chat, and display of the power points, but when we arrived we discovered that the host had provided a laptop and the standard voice/chat.  Given sound quality issues, we just read out all the questions typed in the two chat spaces, as well as the text of one panelist who was not able to come to Sharm.

>> Personally I feel that while there is still a long way to go, remote
>> participation was much more effective this year than in the previous
>> IGFs.

Agree with Anriette.

Best,

Bill