[governance] Election process - message to list coordinators

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 07:14:42 EST 2009

Hi David

I agree 100% and replied to Rafik's email without seeing that you had
started a separate string.

I repost it here.

"Dear All

Is this fair and ethical?

I applaud the request for information about the candidates suitability
for the task.

However, surely then, it should be equally applied to all candidates.
We should not have a situation in which a candidate is prejudiced by
his frank answers, where in fact he might be better that others,
except that we don't know that because such information was not
request of the others.

Best regards,

Rui, Consultant on free and fair elections in Southern Africa."

2009/11/25 David Souter <david.souter at runbox.com>:
> To the list coordinators:
>

> I’ve not checked the election rules here, but surely we should not be having
> the kind of interchange below on-list.  All candidates ought to be treated
> equally, with the same opportunity to provide material to those who are
> entitled to vote.  If we are going to conduct an interview process, which is
> what the exchange below amounts to, it should apply to all.
>

> Message sent by:
>

> David Souter
>
> Managing Director, ict Development Associates ltd
>
> Visiting Professor in Communications Management, Business School, University
> of Strathclyde
>
> Visiting Senior Fellow, Department of Media and Communications, London
> School of Economics
>
> Associate of the International Institute for Sustainable Development
>

> 145 Lower Camden, Chislehurst, Kent, BR7 5JD
>
> (+44) (0)20 8467 1148 (fixed line)
>
> (+44) (0)7764 819974 (cellular line)

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,