[governance] FW: Internet Users Globally

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:12:34 EST 2009

Dear Eric et al:

*----- *respectful  interfaces* sidebar,  subject to emendation ---*

Warm Greetings, and not being the expert a good many of you here are -
concerning the demographics of the Internet (including supply, demand,
bandwidth, other) - nonetheless the discussion is inspiring me to ask this
question.  It would be great to be more informed...

So if useful to use the transformative dialectic of Thesis, Antithesis,
Synthesis:

1.  What is the thesis to which the reaction of speciousness applies?

2.  What is the antithesis  or creatively dissenting view in the reaction
post as to the thesis?

[3.] (One can wait for synthesis, it's usually the case with dialogue, and
well worth the waiting; unless the solution-space here is already populated
and ideas synthesizing the viewpoints can be tentatively formulated).

Sincere regards, Linda.

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Eric Dierker
<cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> This argument line is specious. Direct use and consumption of a good or
> service is not any kind of test as to it's viability or value to a society.
>
> Do we say that since only 2% of the population uses  syringe(s) to
> inoculate thousands that the regulation and governance of medical appliances
> is not relevant?  Do we say that because only the supplier uses a
> telecommunication device to supply food more efficiently and less expensive
> that the telecommunication device is not relevant to the eater?
> Are police academies not relevant to the safety of a small child?
>
> In fact the complete opposite is true. The need for intermediaries and
> those skilled is the only reason to allow all of us pontithicators to have
> any say in governance. The fact that the hunter and gatherer brings home the
> food from the forest does not obsolve or relinquish the right and duty of
> the homemaker to manage his forest and fields. And since facts and opinions
> without study and understanding are more dangerous than helpful, I tolerate
> all of you speaking for the consumer ;-) You all be careful that I do not
> come up with an instant vaccine against ignorance, lest and whilst you be
> out of a job.
>

> --- On Thu, 11/19/09, Nyangkwe Agien Aaron <nyangkweagien at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> From: Nyangkwe Agien Aaron <nyangkweagien at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [governance] FW: Internet Users Globally
> To: governance at lists.cpsr.org, "Michael Gurstein" <gurstein at gmail.com>
> Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 10:42 AM
>

> Many thanks Michael for the revelation.
> I can now understand that despite the availability of an optical fibre
> along the cost of my country Cameroun about 97.1% of my fellow country
> men and women do not use internet. Astonishing is the finding that
> only 86.56 Senegalese do not have access to Internet.
> And when you look at the per capita income of both countries!!!
>
> Internet bandwith capacity in my office is here in Douala is 256/64
>
> Aaon
>
> On 11/18/09, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> For a very revealing application concerning Internet users by country go
> >> to http://datafinder.worldbank.org/internet-users
> >>
> >> If you go to Google and put "Internet users in (your country of choice)"
> >> into the search bar you will get the information graphed by year!
> >>
> > I'm wondering how much of the discussion at this year's IGF was of
> relevance
> > to the 99.19% of Malians who are not currently Internet users (or
> similalry
> > for 99.16% of Chadians, 89.49% of Bolivians, 92.8% of Indians, 98.18% of
> [...]

LDMF.
> Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
> 914 769 3652
> law /  computing / humanities:
> Founder/Director *Respectful Interfaces*;
> Member, Board, Officer - Communications Coordination Committee for the
> U.N.;
> World Education Fellowship;
> Member Committees on disability, aging, health, values, development;
> National Disability Party (NDP); International Disability Caucus;
> Persons with Pain Intl.;
> ICT multiple decades;
> Other affiliations on Request.
>
> n.b.:

> -  You are welcome to join *Respectful Interfaces.* The *Respectful
> Interfaces* Coda is: "Achieving Dialogue While Cherishing Diversity" (ask
> about leadership interning).

> - Communication, Cooperation and Collaboration are core values of the
CCC/UN.