[governance] Tim Berners-Lee launches "WWW Foundation" at IGF 2009

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Thu Nov 19 10:47:08 EST 2009

Tim Berners-Lee launches "WWW Foundation" at IGF 2009
ARS Technica.com
By Janna Quitney Anderson | November 16, 2009
Reporting for http://www.elon.edu/predictions/
ibid: http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/igf_egypt/default.xhtml

Art.Ref.:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/11/tim-berners-lee-launches-www-foundation-at-igf-2009.ars

-

Edited Excerpt:

... Touré [Secretary-General Hamadoun Touré] told the audience in his keynote
that “IGF is a place where we can make progress on certain topics and
introduce those mature topics into other more formal processes, arrangements
and organizations for further consideration.”

Sha Zukang, under-secretary-general of the United Nations' Department of
Economic and Social Affairs [formerly China’s director-general for the
department of arms control in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs] said, “If you
believe the forum is valuable, I would encourage you to say so, and tell us in
what ways…If you believe that IGF has fulfilled its purpose, I would
encourage you to speak out against our extension of the mandate and tell us
why.”

The leadership of the ITU and Touré himself have made it clear that they
prefer all non-ICANN and non-WIPO policy work to fall in their court. The
government of China is one of the few IGF actors that has made it clear it does
not see IGF as effective in the ways it would like it to be effective—for
instance, being a body that supports the rights of governments to exercise the
selective blocking and filtering of Internet content.

The final report on the efficacy and potential for the IGF’s continuance will
be handed over to Zukang, who will pass it to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
for a decision.  ...

-30-
     governance at lists.cpsr.org