[governance] UN SG's report on enhanced cooperation

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Mon Nov 16 07:50:49 EST 2009

Bonjour

never forget that ITU is a "technological" agency (at least on the paper) since it is the oldest international telecoms body. Nevertheless -and I'm strongly oppose that activity- ITU organiizes "Internet protection for the children" conferences and is more and more "regulation" oriented then "development" oriented (which is its primary function besides standardizatioin). In other words ITU has'nt any intellectual capacity (nor does it have the financiel resources) to be a main actor in this field.
CS should be very aware of this and rather promote a "structured" cooperation between ITU, Unesco and the UNDP for instance.

I remember that Bill Drake proposed some ideas for an overdue ITU reform in this context at he 2008 meeting of EuroDIG , and I expressed my readiness for contributing to this thinking. Will it be on a (very) future CS agenda ?

Best regards
Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT