[governance] In memoriam Francis Muguet

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Mon Nov 16 05:02:29 EST 2009

Dear friend Parminder,
dear members of the list

Certainly, Enhanced cooperation is an important topic and deserves our interest.

However, I ask kindly -but firmly- the CS orgs and their members that are present in Sharm el Cheikh to devote at least a quarter of an hour to honor the memory of our regretted friend and fellow Francis Muguet. The audience should be reminded all that we owe to his work and continuous commitment during the WSIS and its follow-up process, either at the very beginning of the next CS Plenary meeting or, even better, in a special "open" space attended by all the stakeholders of the IGF.

We should never forget his numerous initiatives, proposals, documents and activities that finally led to his premature death. A special attention should be paid on his fight for more rights and openness in the Internet space, his commitment for a free and open access to scientific and educational knowledge, for free and open software, for the Global Patronage proposal, for multilingualism and cultural diversity in the Internet, for promoting constantly the role of CS mainly in IG with a novel alternative to ICANN and all its oligarchs . But don't forget to mention as well his ideas for opening the domains space to more competition and his brutally interrupted work with the ITU in this important issue.

All of us should remind his friendliness, his personal commitment in assisting any group e.g. the developing countries' orgs, his willingness to foster a really open and better future through all his initiatives, his humour even when dealing with critical topics such as ICANN's very particular IG (remember his very descriptive term that represented this body and its gourous : the ComIntern !).

There is sufficent stuff for all of us to honor the memory of our dear friend Francis. As you may know, I owe it to him to be able to write you this message, since he was besides me when I had a heart attack at the end of the ITU-UNDP and Unesco meeting last May in Geneva. That is also the very reason I ask you to held him in your mind, at least during this event that was so important for him. And this is also the reason I  ask my friend Parminder whose commitment is so close to Francis' to act accordingly. I thank you very warmly for all your efforts, dear Parminder.

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT and CESIR

PS : Let me just add that I'm somehow disapointed that Francis has completely disapeared from the (far too) numerous messages on this list.