[governance] What IGF is for? ONI Asia event rattled by UN

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Nov 16 01:59:29 EST 2009

I have been trying to find out exactly what happened here and a lot of the
media reports are wildly inaccurate. What people who were there believe to
be the cease is roughly as follows.

The Chinese Government did complain about a poster in a public area. If it
had been inside the door instead of outside the door, there would have been
no issue that the security police apparently felt compelled to act on.

The workshop went ahead as planned after the dispute about the poster.

One person who was fortunately present during the whole event was (I may
have the title wrong here) was the UN Under Secretary for Freedom of
Expression. He has requested a full report on the incident from the IGF
Secretariat.

It is not clear who exactly the Chinese complaint was to. It was not to the
host country, the Chinese know that¹s not the appropriate way to do things.
It would appear that the complaint may have been direct to the UN Security
Unit who have travelled to all the IGFs and work closely with the
Secretariat. Whether the Secretariat proper had any strong role in the
decision is unknown to me and to those close to the event.

The other thing I have just learnt is that there was a Chinese objection to
the event taking place well before this incident and before IGF at all.  It
should not be surprising to anyone that the Chinese complained or that the
Secretariat properly ruled the workshop should go ahead. This then might be
an incident in response to that ruling ­ but I don¹t know.

However, as regards action ­ I am about to write to Markus Kummer on behalf
of the Caucus and express our concerns about the incident and ask if he can
give any further information about the restrictive action and its rationale.
That doesn¹t preclude any other action but I think we should seek more
information as to why the action was taken before going much further.
Hopefully they will respond quickly.

Ian Peter