[governance] Fixing an ICANN problem

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Nov 12 10:11:44 EST 2009

In message <202486.82478.qm at web110113.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>, at 05:38:29
on Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Danny Younger <dannyyounger at yahoo.com> writes
>ICANN recently published a study of constituency participation in
>working group activities -- see
>http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg07806.html
>
>The attendance rosters paint a very sad picture -- two constituencies
>in particular (the ISPs and the NCUC) had no member participation
>whatsoever in several working groups:
>
>Registration Abuse Policies WG

If I could stick my head above the parapet here.... I participate as an
individual, but if I had to name a constituency (which I don't think is
compulsory) the NCUC would be the one. [I've discussed this in the past
with Milton, without ever actually joining it formally].

>When some constituencies fail to participate at the working group level
>it is almost inevitable that whatever recommendations emerge will be
>skewed as a result of imbalanced input -- clearly this is not a healthy
>situation.
>
>On this list are many veterans of the ICANN process.  What suggestions
>might you offer to improve this overall situation?

It's a lot of work, you need to find people to encourage and support
you.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org