[governance] Fixing an ICANN problem

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Nov 11 17:10:09 EST 2009

Danny,
You ask for suggestions to "remedy" the overall situation. To identify a remedy one must first identify the cause.

The main reason NCUC's attendance in minor, specialized WGs has been minimized in the last 9 months is that it has been forced to fight a political battle for its very existence, and this has absorbed nearly all of the energies of its key activists. It seems, at least for now, to have won that battle and to have finally persuaded key Board members to take a more sensible approach to the formation of new Stakeholder Groups. It has also been forced to devote an enormous amount of energy into recruiting new members. Going forward you will see an expansion in our activity on a broad variety of areas, now that the organizational issue sare more or less settled.

NCUC has however been extremely active on two issues that have much greater priority: the IRT/STI work on trademark protection in new TLDs, and the registtry-registrar separation issue.

The WG you list are extremely technical and narrow in focus. Most of the new members we are recruiting simply would have no idea how to cope with them, either procedureally or substantively. It is a matter of education. We have succeeded in bringing in a whole new generation of members, but the idea that an NGO from Sri Lanka can join NCUC Tuesday and jump into a workshop on the intricacies of inter-registrar contracts on Wednesday is plainly unrealistic. This is all volunteer labor, and people tend to gravitate toward what they know and even then, it takes time to understand icann processes and politics.

As an interesting and related question, may I ask you: did you participate in any of these WGs? As a former member of NCUC, you had many opportunities to do so but, as I recall, never did. Perhaps you can help answer your own question.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org