[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Mon Nov 2 03:05:23 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 01:40:38AM -0500,
 Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> I am not disagreeing with John but for better or worse, we seem to
> be missing what ICANN really did. Of course it did not do the
> technical work - that is not its mission.

ICANN boasted a lot about technical tests it commissioned (and which
were basically a waste of time, since IDN in the root raises *zero*
*technical* issues).

So, if ICANN were to say "We are just a policy body, we don't do
technical stuff", I would agree with you. But ICANN is not that candid2,
and pretends to deal with undefined technical issues like the famous
"security and stability of the Internet". That's also in the name of
these technical issues that ICANN delayed IDN in the root.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org