[governance] Re: IDN's Internationalized Domain Names - A New

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Nov 2 01:40:38 EST 2009

I am not disagreeing with John but for better or worse, we seem to be missing what ICANN really did. Of course it did not do the technical work - that is not its mission. What it did was policy work, act as a gatekeeper to the root, and specifically make the decision that ccTLD operators would have a privileged right to enter the IDN space first. I am deliberately describing that decision in as neutral terms as I can - I suspect most of you know my opinion of it - but at least let's be accurate about what ICANN does and does not do.

--MM

     governance at lists.cpsr.org