[governance] JPA response - second draft for comments

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 31 08:15:18 EDT 2009

Our response should call for ICANN to be subject to WSIS principles, not
only - multilateralism, transparency, democracy and multi-stakeholder
participation - as mentioned in para 29 of Tunis agenda  but also those
principles mentiond in para 31 which I quote in full.

"We recognize* *that Internet governance, carried out according to the
Geneva principles, is an essential element for a people-centred,
inclusive, development-oriented and non-discriminatory Information Society"

An important development in the recent open consultations and MAG
meeting is that the meaning of 'WSIS principles' in the IG arena is now
clearly interpreted to both as contained in para 29 and in para 31.

It is important that one of the specific mandates of IGF is to assesses
in implementation of WSIS principles in IG processes, which of course
include ICANN. There will be a full session at IGF Sharm El Sheikh on
this issue.

parminder