[governance] Obama on security, net neutrality, civil

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 30 09:38:32 EDT 2009

Thanks Anriette,  there are very useful  insights in  your report below,
and they present some significant dilemmas. How to best ensure and
represent public interest at global arenas remains  a huge challenge and
is  a long haul. What we in civil society, in my humble opinion, can
best do is to build and strengthen civil society networks and capacities
at the global level. It consists both in anchoring strongly a vision of
'another world is possible' and, perhaps even more importantly, invest
in processes of openness, collaboration and a very high degree of p2p
and bottom-up accountability in the civil society arena. That is our
legitimacy, and that alone can give us the needed strength to influence
these processes better. Parminder