[governance] JPA response - second draft for comments

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri May 29 04:05:37 EDT 2009

Hi Ian,

thank you for this very good draft!
The only serious problem I see with the draft concerns the principles
you list at the end. The wording in this section seems very much in line
with the  original Memorandum of Understanding. The way I read this
section, it is not clear whether ICANN's structure and processes
presently meet these principles or not. However, I think the message we
want to convey is that ICANN has to change significantly before the JPA
can end.

One further comment. I think we should try to be more specific with
regard to "appropriate accountability mechanisms". As a minimum, we
should say that we expect _external_ forms of accountability towards a
body that is independent of ICANN.

Thanks again, jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org