AW: [governance] JPA

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Wed May 27 12:18:15 EDT 2009

WK and I are of one mind...until the end ... I have no strong opinion as
to the tribunal -- courts or arbitrators -- but I submit that this isn't
the hardest issue.  The hardest issue is the content of the procedural
norms.  And this cannot be well-specified in a contract, there's just too
mamy issues, too many ways an administrative body can play games.  It
really takes reference to a body of law with experience.  I suppose one
could incorporate that law by reference.

That said, I do have slightly queasy feelings about asking even a
first-class US jurist to apply French administrative law or a French
jurist US admin law, sittling as arbitrators, as they are complex bodies
of law and take experience and a knowledge of how the sources are embedded
in a larger legal context.

Arbitrators can apply foreign contract law because the transnational law
norms converge, ditto even more so for trademark.  This would be much
harder.

A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin at law.tm
     governance at lists.cpsr.org