[governance] JPA

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Wed May 27 11:48:35 EDT 2009

On 27-May-09, at 7:08 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Jeanette, it may just be your phrasing, but I fear that you make
> the same mistake that WSIS and so many others dealing with the
> accountability problem have made. You think of accountability as
> residing in an external "body" i.e. an organization, rather than in
> rules or laws. This approach has two inherent problems:
>   1) once it is put in place, everyone ignores ICANN and reaches
> directly for influence within that "body" (further undermining
> ICANN's already tenuous bottom up)
>   2) the creation of the body just reproduces all the existing
> politics within ICANN, with no guarantees that the result will be
> any better. (infinite recursion).

True, accountability is a function of the organization that acts -
not some oversight body.  But it also begins before the fact of
acting - with clear statements of intentions.  Thus the standard of
evaluation can and should evolve dynamically from its operating
environment and not just statically as in "rules or laws."

"For every important responsibility there is accountability. Public
accountability is the obligation to answer publicly, fully and
fairly, for the discharge of responsibilities that affect the public
in important ways. Responsibility is the obligation to act, which is
obviously related to accountability, but it is conceptually different
from accountability, the obligation to answer. While the answering
obligation attaches to all significant responsibilities, the key is
getting the answering. The answering is for intentions as well as
results. When responsibilities affect the public in important ways,
the decision-makers' answering must be public. And it is the
governing bodies of organizations, not employee CEOs and managers,
who have the obligation to account to the public. ...  Holding to
account also includes validating the answering whenever this is
prudent under the precautionary principle. Validation of the
answering means independent assessment (audit) of its fairness and
completeness by people who can competently assess it."  Henry
McCandless. A Citizen's Guide to Public Accountability. http://
www.accountabilitycircle.org/index.html

GG
     governance at lists.cpsr.org