[governance] Example of online safety initiative

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon May 25 11:26:28 EDT 2009

Dear all

As I am writing this from the CSTD WSIS follow-up session in Geneva, the
ITU is presenting its 'child online protection' initiative being
promoted under the rather appropriate acronym - COP.

It reminded me to share an initiative of an APC member in South Africa,
Women'sNet. Their approach to online safety is to empower users, in this
case girls.

It would be interesting to hear what people think of Women'sNet's
approach. Those of you who are not familiar with South Africa might not
know that mobile chat is incredibly popular - through a locally
developed application called Mxit.  This is because mobile chat (IM) is
much cheaper than SMS.

Best

Anriette