[governance] IGF review

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon May 25 10:46:35 EDT 2009

When the costs of something -- anything -- are pushed down by competition and technical innovation, everyone benefits (except perhaps those who operated monopolies built around higher-cost system). So if it once was too expensive to build facilities into poorer areas, then cost reductions obviously especially benefit those with less money or those whose geographical situation creates higher costs. So I reject absolutely Gurstein's assertion that liberalization creates a zero-sum game which benefits only the already-wealthy. Furthermore, I also challenge his assertion that liberalization and a thriving market reduces the opportunities for public intervention. Insofar as those strategies succeed in generating additional revenues and economic benefit, there is more wealth to be redistributed via public intervention, and if there is no wealth, there is nothing to redistribute. Liberalization of telecom is often associated with the reform and restructuring of universal service programs, making them more targeted and efficient, and generating more revenues which can be used to ameliorate poverty.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org