[governance] JPA

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Mon May 25 06:39:53 EDT 2009

Hi Ian

In APC we are exploring whether to make a submission on the JPA expiry
on the following lines:

Q1: change the principle 'private' to 'multi-stakeholder' and propose
WSIS principles
Q2 say the ICANN model is flawed as it allows for arbitrary
interventions by the GAC to override its decision-making processess as
in the .xxx case,  does not in its decision-making processes comply with
the standards of an economic regulator, confuses public policy
regulation with commercial activities, lacks proper accountability
whether internal or external, lacks full international legitimacy. ICANN
can be internationalised as an economic regulator for the DNS and the
JPA allowed to expire after the following steps:
- abolish the GAC and have governments either participate as a
stakeholder directly in ICANN structures e.g. the Board, GNSO etc just
as other stakeholders do or specify the role of governments in managing
critical internet resources through an international treaty
- separate the ICANN global governance regime from national governance
e.g. ccTLDs which should be handled at national level with suggested
guidelines on how to go about this (multi-stakeholder principle,WSIS
principles etc)
- an international treaty to govern the management of critical internet
resources should be entered into between governments in consultation
with the private sector and civil society (that would set the principles
and broad parameters for ICANN as an independent international economic
regulator but not interfere in its operations)
Qs3,4 & 5: recognise that ICANN has made progress on meeting some of
these steps but they are not sufficient in themselves as the overall
problems outlined in Q2 have not been met and can't be met within the
current governance arrangments for ICANN.
Q6:  say therefore that the USG cannot let the JPA expire until
theconditions outlined under Q2 have been met.

This conclusion is somewhat surprising for us to reach as we have argued
against the unilateral control of ICANN by one government. We have also
been hesitant about arguing for an international treaty but feel the
sooner we face up to this as a reality the better. We are worried about
a black swan blindsiding the system of managing critical internet
resources to the detriment of the internet as a whole and lack
confidence in letting ICANN go without there being a legitimate
accountability mechanism in place.

Willie