[governance] IGF review

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun May 24 14:05:18 EDT 2009

Milton,

There is in many (most?) cases no direct (and arguably little or no
indirect) connection between the "most developed infrastructure" or "the
strongest content industries" and "development"--certainly among the poorest
and the least developed populations...

There are in many cases statistical associations because infrastructure and
content industries support economic and social advance among the alteady
developed sections of those societies, but the reality is very different on
the ground as can be seen quite directly for example in India where highly
sophisticated inftrastructure/content development has had little or no
impact on the bulk of the rural population.

I'm now somewhat familiar with the situation for example in South Africa
where further liberalization whether of infrastructure or of content is
likely in fact to be an impediment to development by restricting the
opportunities for public sector intervention precisely to support
development among the 85% of the population which is currently not
effectively engaged with/enabled by the quite advanced infrastructure and
content industries in that country.

Whether the State or not for profits would or could do any better is not
something I want to argue in this context, but at least as I see the SA
situation for example, further liberalization (i.e. more competition) will
lead to a reduction in cost for the already connected and have virtually no
effect on the not connected. How cell technology (the ICT of choice in most
LDC's) interacts with all this is another question very worthy of a second
thread but is an issue area which to my knowledge hasn't been addressed at
all in the context of the IGF.

MBG