[governance] IGF review

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Sat May 23 13:45:38 EDT 2009

Avri, and others,

Sure, the IGF can shine a light on positive andnegative examples, and
it can stress the desirability of all of the good things that would
be present in a better world world, i.e. privacy, security, equal
rights for _____ (fill in the blank).

My point is that the what happens at IGF is generally not translated
into desirable local or regional action, or if it is, with very
limited effect, in those countries that perhaps need it the most.
I'm talking about Malawi and Tajikistan, not the U.K.

This is not to say that the IGF does not have value.  Rather, I
believe that for a significant number of developing countries, it's
more effective to work locally for improving things Internet than by
attending IGF.  These countries need a lot of help, and people like
McTim are in the field helping full time; I also do from time to
time, but not full time.

I suggest that improving access, with all of its constituent elements
such as confidentiality, lack of censorship, etc., offers the
greatest opportunity for the benefits of the Internet to spread most
effectively.  Issues affecting access are for the most part local,
not global.  The IGF may be one of the right places to address the
global issues, but those are likely to be addresses by people other
than those working in the trenches at home.

Regards,

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org