[governance] IGF review

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat May 23 10:45:28 EDT 2009

Coming in late to the discussion and being sympathetic to McTim and George's
point I'm wondering whether the issue is that the IGF doesn't really include
discussions on issues of much interest to the Developing World and countries
in transition (and grassroots users who are the "stakeholders" that interest
me) so those folks shouldn't waste their time and money on looking to
participate; or alternatively that the way in which the issues of "Internet
governance" are being defined are rather too narrow or involve certain
assumptions about what is given, what is necessary/possible, what should be
included under "Internet Governance" etc. which inevitably excludes these
groups (and their concerns) and all but a rather narrow band of fairly elite
users/Internet Governance mavens.

So maybe its not that folks from Africa or the 'stans (or grassroots users)
shouldn't participate but rather that the IGF should open itself up to a
broader understanding of what Internet governance issues might include and
while doing that provide a more engaging and inclusive enviroment for what
would probably be a rather broader and much more diverse range of
stakeholders/participants/topic areas for discussion...

MBG