[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon May 18 15:49:39 EDT 2009

> This wont be the end of the calls for IGF to be abandoned.
> One ISOC trustee (speaking as an individual) was saying the same thing today.
> And once the decision making gets out of the sympathetic enclave of IGF
> attendees a whole lot of people who don't know much about it are likely to
> follow calls from entities like ITU and China. This will include decision makers in
> governments who currently appear to be sympathetic.

For those of you who do not read the IGP blog - and _of course_ that it is a very, very tiny minority, but it apparently includes Ian ;-) - the Europeans at the May 6 meeting announced their intention to support continuation of IGF, and the ISOC crowd there was falling over itself with praise for the IGF and calls for its continuation.
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2009/5/7/4177879.html

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org