[governance] China: "we don't agree that the IGF should continue"

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon May 18 09:03:43 EDT 2009

Carlos

I strongly share your concerns, and think this may be the time of
reckoning for the global civil society - if it exists in IG arena - to
introspect and see if they can figure out what best can it do in these
circumstances. Apart from acting at other global and national fora, it
is  important we revisit what we did right or wrong vis a vis supporting
and shaping the IGF, and what are our options ahead.

For the IGC as a group to be able to do this however we need to able to
share some fundamental values that we all cherish, and a conception of
people's rights in the emerging information society paradigm. What has
happened in France, and the way the IG scene is increasingly getting
ITU-centric, could hopefully act as an eye opener. I do feel that we
have a strong collective responsibility in this regard, since IGC is
perhaps the only geographically representative CS group in this area.
But  I do get told often that I tend to put unrealistic expectations  on
the IGC :) .

I will share my impressions of the MAG meeting and the open
consultations after the official summary is out, in  a day or two.

Parminder