[governance] AW: China on IGF

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu May 14 09:23:04 EDT 2009

Here it is again:

wolfgang

IGF Consultations Full Transcript

 Geneva

 Morning Session:

May I turn to China, and then after that, I'm going to sort of conscript Egypt into speaking.

 >>CHINA:   Thank you, Mr. Chairman.  Thank you, Mr. Chairman.  On behalf of the delegation of China, I would like to present the position of the government of China on the fourth session of the IGF.

 First of all, on the title -- the global title of the meeting, the delegation of China prefers the proposal put forward by Egypt, "Internet, an opportunity for all."  We think that this topic is very closely linked to the international financial crisis we're going through at the moment.  And in addition, it proves that the United Nations continue to work in order to promote the Internet.  As we have said in February, the rights and principles for Internet is not an appropriate theme because the words "rights and principles" don't have an appropriate definition.  As a meeting of the United Nations, it is not appropriate to adopt a theme which is not properly defined.

 And on this matter, we suggest that we discuss the definition of "rights and principles" first of all, the workshop level.

 Honorable Chairman, secondly, on the management of critical resources, the delegation of China feels that, first of all, the title of this theme should be "managing the critical Internet resources."

We feel that this title has been defined last year, after extensive discussions.  And we think that this is a fairly neutral title.  At the same time, it is a very sensitive theme, and we would suggest that we continue using this title this year.

 Also, we would like to stress the fact that under the theme of "critical Internet resource management," we think that JPA is a very important theme and that it's not because we're going to reexamine JPA in September that we can't discuss it at the fourth session of the IGF.  On the opposite, it's because we're going to do this in September that we should do it in IGF, too.

 Thirdly, now, as to security, the delegation of China feels that this is a very important question.  At the present time, security in the Internet, on the Internet and cybercrime is something that has become a worldwide enemy.  And here we need to talk about regrouping the energies and resources of all parties concerned and to strengthen the international mechanism in order to promote security and stability for the Internet at the worldwide level.

 We also think that there are some vital matters that have not been incorporated on this theme, for instance, how do we promote open source or intellectual property or traditional library resources.  These are all very important questions in order to promote dissemination of knowledge.

 We also think that this is a theme which should be discussed in the opening title.

 We have also noted that some have talked about the URL blocking.  On the URL blocking, this is a very sensitive matter.

 In order to guarantee the security of states and to guarantee the interests of citizens to fight against terrorism and other crimes, all countries have the right to filter the contents of certain Internet sites.  And I think that this is something that all countries are in the process of doing.

 IGF as a meeting hosted, under the auspices of the United Nations, talks about URL blocking.  Now, will this give an impression to the outside world that the United Nations are against content blocking?  Are the U.N. against the practice of certain states filtering some Internet sites so that when we talk about "blocking," should the theme of blocking be incorporated in our IGF meeting?  We have to be very careful about that.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org