[governance] OC meeting notes: RP, statement and 9 am meeting

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Sun May 10 07:59:59 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I do not yet have the Remote Participation details from Chengatai for
the Wednesday OC meeting. I will post if I can, but Rafik Dammak, of the
RP Working Group has promised to post all information as well, since I
will be traveling.

Since there are so many things going on Wednesday, I suggest that anyone
who can meet outside the OC meeting room at 9 a.m. Wednesday morning,
and then we see if we can have a meeting later on as well. At any rate,
I remind you that my Skype login is gingerpaque, and ask that anyone who
is at the meeting connect to Skype so we can follow.

Ian (through RP) or I will read the following previously agreed upon
statement during the meeting:

The Internet Governance Caucus notes the statement from the Programme
Paper: "....Some favoured the inclusion of 'Internet rights and
principles' as a cross-cutting theme". This concurs with the widespread
support for this concept from various stakeholder groups at the February
open consultations.

However we are concerned at the decision to exclude it as a theme this
year on the grounds that there is "no established definition of this
theme and that therefore it should not be discussed at the Sharm El
Sheikh meeting."

We are surprised by this reasoning for exclusion and request that the
MAG revisit this subject given the wide support which has been
expressed. Given that these matters are specifically contained in the
Tunis Agenda (paras 70 and 42) we do not see lack of definition as a
reason for exclusion. However, if it is not possible to include this
concept until it is defined within IGF, we ask that the IGF 2009 include
a prominent plenary space to establish this definition, in preparation
for more comprehensive discussions in future debates and meetings.

Regards,
Ginger

     governance at lists.cpsr.org