[governance] US Needs Digital Warfare Force?

David Goldstein goldstein_david at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 6 01:14:23 EDT 2009

Totally agree... this time we have to say the Americans are not at fault and are currently playing catch up to ensure everything from electricity grids to air traffic control (although much of America's air traffic control is so antiquated it's not connected to the internet) are safe from cyber warfare.

I've been posting plenty of stories on this on my website - new URL is http://goldsteinreport.com/ for anyone who cares - and these issues have been going on for months now, getting more and more prominent.

A couple of recent interesting stories on this are:

EC's Reding urges preventive action against cyberattacks [IDG]
Europe needs a "Mister cyber security" to take control in the event of an attack on Internet infrastructure, Europe's telecommunications commissioner, Viviane Reding said Monday.
http://computerworld.com.au/article/300856/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/163888/.html
http://pcworld.idg.com.au/article/300856/

EU Commissioner Reding calls for preventive action to make the EU resilient against cyber attacks [news release]
In a video posted on her website this morning, Viviane Reding, the European Union's Commissioner for Information Society and Media, called on Member States to act to ensure that Europe's electronic communication networks are well protected. While being the backbone of most other crucial services, such as energy and water distribution, air and road traffic control or banking, European critical information infrastructures are themselves under constant threat of technical breakdowns and cyber attacks.
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/09/199

Panel Warns U.S. on Cyberwar Plans
The United States has no clear military policy about how the nation might respond to a cyberattack on its communications, financial or power networks, a panel of scientists and policy advisers warned Wednesday, and the country needs to clarify both its offensive capabilities and how it would respond to such attacks.
http://nytimes.com/2009/04/30/science/30cyber.html

David