[governance] Report Public Hearing

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue May 5 17:24:13 EDT 2009

So here is our dilemma -

Firstly, to most of us the concept of an ICANN with US Govt unilateral
rights through JPA is the wrong model for the future. Here civil society and
government are united ­ and indeed most of the world. We all agree something
should change, and IGF¹s establishment basically attests to that.

In the absence of a clear proposal of a better way to do things, governments
inevitably will return to the way they usually do things in this space ­
some model of government oversight worked out with industry, and all is
well. That¹s what we see being proposed now. Over time that probably sees
civil society input reduced or dispensed with.

If we are not happy with that model, we really have to be clear about what
we think is the appropriate alternative. So let me ask the question -

Is ICANN as is without the JPA an appropriate governance structure? Is it a
multistakeholder model we would support?

I suspect we have differing views here. I have heard it expressed that ICANN
is basically a conclave of  siloed interest groups.

So what is multistakeholder and if it was applied to ICANN as a governance
structure what would it look like and how would it be different? ­ or is
multistakeholder a term of convenience and what we are seeking something
entirely different?

I think we need to be clear here.

Ian Peter