[governance] EC recommends a "G12" for IG

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue May 5 10:08:02 EDT 2009

The exercise of power, "informal" or otherwise, has expression.  And for me,
it is the impact that matters. I doubt if NATO or OPEC are very good
examples of an antithetical G12. In fact, I posit that an "informal" and
"geographically balanced" G12 would look more like a "rump" of the
[economic] G20.

The G12 idea represents EU's impatience with American suzerainty of the
names and numbers system of the Internet. And from where we struggle in the
periphery, it is clear this diverges little from the oft-expressed European
discomfort with the uni-polar post-Cold War political world and how power is
expressed.  Your 2nd paragraph captures this very well.

If the EU's proffer goes forward, all that the G12 would achieve is to
redistribute power in managing the domain name system to the usual suspects
and those countries that are now numbered in the rank of the "deserving
few". For more than many reasons, read the latter to mean and include China
and India.  As I see it, the redistribution would be at the expense of civil
society actors.  But as imperfect as the JPA world is today, there is, at
minimum, notable attempts by ICANN to embrace civil society in its
councils.  And in my view, this development ought to be emphasized, deepened
and institutionalized.

The post-JPA ICANN future is a grand opportunity to reorder our concept of
global governance for what is without doubt global "public goods". But power
is as power does.  This is not a proposal that fundamenally reforms the old
order. Rather, it merely tweaks it at the edge.

Carlton Samuels