[governance] EC recommends a "G12" for IG

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:28:02 EDT 2009

Dude,

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Africa. In reality, African, Asian and South American regions should
> have more representation as the developed world tends to pose
> over-pricing to the infrastructure that enables access to the Internet
> and the developing world should make its move forward for more control
> over decisions that affect it and the ferocious pricing structures
> they have to pay that makes access to the Internet unaffordable for
> the common man in those countries.

A) ICANN has NOTHING to do with cost of Internet access anywhere in the world!

B) Often, the things that govts could do in the developing world to
lower prices for users can't be done because govt's make too much
money from the things that help keep prices high (taxes, landing fees,
licenses, spectrum allocations, etc.)

C) What you are advocating sounds like putting the fox in charge of
the henhouse.

> If only the government department of one country has oversight of an
> entire internet function which is used by hundreds of millions of
> people in countries all over the world, it is not justice both with
> the developing and developed worlds.  ICANN's global management should
> be intervened to take in more people from the developing world
> countries so that accountability evolves as a self evolving process.

Please look at the ICANN Board composition (now and historically).  I
think you will find many folks from LDCs.

> Its not a matter of who controls the process, ICANN, UN or any other
> organization. The issue is equality and equality in distribution of
> management between multistakeholders.

Don't we want a CS organisation like ICANN running it without govt interference?
If you give gov't a greater role, then you are asking for "Internet
Authoritarianism"!

--
Cheers,

McTim