[governance] Report Public Hearing

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue May 5 04:16:03 EDT 2009

Also interesting is the display of diplomatic finesse that has made
Reding a beloved figure in DC.

>> "I trust that President Obama will have the courage, the wisdom and
>> the respect for the global nature of the internet to pave the way
>> in September for a new, more accountable, more transparent, more
>> democratic and more multilateral form of Internet Governance," said
>> EU Commissioner Viviane Reding in her Internet video message this
>> morning. "The time to act is now. And Europe will be ready to
>> support President Obama in his efforts."

So presumably if he doesn't follow her instructions and buy into a G12
etc, he lacks courage, wisdom, and respect for the Internet's global
nature.

The framing and carefully laid political groundwork (reminiscent of
the "cooperation at the level of principles" announcement WSIS II
Prepcom 3) undoubtedly will help make it easy on NTIA or anyone else
in DC trying to argue for ICANN's independence and globalization...And
I'm sure right wingers in the US won't take notice...oops, wait...Fox
News has it covered.  More to come...

Europeans: U.S. Should Give Up Control of Internet

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,518808,00.html

Monday, May 04, 2009

STRASBOURG, France —  The United States has too much control over the
Internet and needs to give it up, a European Union bureaucrat declared
Monday.

EU Information Society Commissioner Viviane Reding, a Luxembourgian,
called for "full privatization" of the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), demanding that it be removed from
the supervision of the U.S. Department of Commerce when its operating
agreement expires on Sept. 30.

"In the long run, it is not defendable that the government department
of only one country has oversight of an Internet function which is
used by hundreds of millions of people in countries all over the
world," said Reding in a statement.

She purports to be calling for less, not more, government involvement
in the Internet, using a free-market argument against the Commerce
Department's control of ICANN.

Longtime Euroskeptics may be surprised by that approach, as the
European Commission normally sees fit to issue binding regulations
governing all aspects of public life on all member states, right down
to the sizes of apples and oranges in street markets.

ICANN is a non-profit organization based in Marina del Rey, Calif.,
which among other tasks supervises the top-level domains of the
Internet, such as ".com" and ".net," as well as country-code domains
such as ".fr" and ".uk."

The U.S. military and defense-research labs at universities across the
country built the Internet in the 1970s, and ever since then it's
essentially been controlled by the U.S. government.

This has upset other countries' governments. In 2005, a U.N. body
tried to persuade the U.S. to hand over control, arguing that no one
nation should run such a vital means of communication.

The U.S. successfully quashed that attempt, partly by pointing out
that it's been a very hands-off landlord and mostly lets ICANN do
whatever it wants.

One exception to that trend involved ICANN's proposed ".xxx" domain
for pornographic Web sites, which would have kept online porn in its
own sector.

Pressure from American politicians killed the idea two years ago,
causing consternation among their less prudish European counterparts.

Yet Reding may have undermined her own free-market argument by
simultaneously proposing a new international body, a "G12 for Internet
Governance" that would oversee ICANN and be made up of voting
representatives from around the world.

Like the 2005 plan, that would essentially be handing over Internet
control not to the free market, but to the same creaky collection of
international bureaucrats who control the EU and the U.N. — which
might mean a lot more government involvement in day-to-day Internet
operations.

The European Commission plans to hold a series of public hearings on
the issue beginning Wednesday in Brussels.