[governance] Monday: Computer, Freedom and Privacy - Live Webcasting!

Katitza Rodriguez Pereda katitza at datos-personales.org
Sun May 31 22:10:47 EDT 2009

Greetings:

Tomorrow at 9:00 US/EST Computer, Freedom and Privacy Conference will
be held in Washington DC. I strongly recommend you to virtually attend
the meeting, if you have the time. There is an online schedule for
live video streaming and a Twitter backchannel. You will find more
information below.

There are extremely interesting panels such as "Privacy, Online
Advertising and the Future of the Internet", Internet and Activism: 20
years after Tienanmen", Cloud Computing, Privacy and Free Speech, The
Google Book Deal, The Future of Security vs. Privacy, Online Activism
Around the World, Towards a Global Privacy Regime, Social networks and
computers, freedom, and privacy, Deep Packet Inspection, Privacy
advocates on social networks, Join the Impact and the DREAM Activists:
perspectives from the next generation, Does government secrecy still
make sense in the Internet age? Closing plenary: Panopticon:
Internalizing the Gaze

++++++
Details
++++++
Online schedule: http://www.cfp2009.org/wiki/index.php/Online_schedule
Live Streaming: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cfp09
Wiki: http://cfp09.wetpaint.com/
Twitter Hashtag #cpf09

     #followfriday for #cfp09 (1/5) @cfp2009 @pubic_citizen @eff @aclu
@digiactive @cendemtech @catoinstitue

     #followfriday for #cfp09 (2/5) @CharlotteAnne @AriMelber
@cncpundit @benpolitico @schatzwsj @csoghoian @kpoulsen @nancyscola
@shansell

     #followfriday for #cfp09 (3/5) @bruceschneier @bendrath
@securitysources @phillyberg @phragments @jeremycee @andrewclement
@IsCool

     #followfriday for #cfp09 (4/5) @edfelten @digitalsista
@Gauravonomics @wonderwillow @hellrazr @jdp23 @netfreedom @txitua
@dreamact

     #followfriday for #cfp09 (5/5) @sairy @craignewmark @scrawford
@ellenmiller @gregpincus @wendyg @mhintze @tribehelp

*****
How to follow CFP 2009 online
*****

This year CFP will feature live video streaming and a Twitter
backchannel. Along with this blog, the CFP Wetpaint Wiki, and Ask your
lawmaker about computers, freedom, and privacy,* we hope this marks a
significant step to increasing the visibility of privacy and onine
civil liberties issues — during the conference, and throughout the
rest of the year too.

The best ways to follow what’s happening:

   * The official CFP site at http://cfp2009.org, including the online
schedule for streamed video  http://www.cfp2009.org/wiki/index.php/Online_schedule
   * and the CFP 2009 blog
   * The CFP Wetpaint Wiki
   * On Twitter, where http://twitter.com/cfp2009 has the latest
updates and information, and the #cfp09 hashtag has discussions

And please, don’t just follow along — get involved! Join in the
conversations on the blog and on Twitter. When you see articles,
videos, blog posts, and discussions about CFP-related issues, tweet
them and include the #cfp09 hashtag. And stay tuned for more about Ask
your lawmaker about computers, freedom, and privacy, a joint project
with Capitol News Connection, focused on getting answers and coverage
on key legislative issues.

During the conference, one of our major goals is broaden participation
in CFP. While there’s no substitute for being there in person, we want
to make it so that that people who aren’t able to attend get to see
what’s going on and be part of a lot of the discussions. Another goal
is to increase coverage of the conference and computers, freedom, and
privacy issues online from last year’s baseline — CFP’s got a
reputation as “the best conference you’ve never heard of” and it’s
time to start changing that.

After the conference wraps up on June 4, we hope that the blog, wiki,
and twitter hashtags are interesting enough that people keep coming
back afterwards. If the CFP blog can reflect the conference — high-
quality discussions of the broad array of “CFP issues” from policy,
technical, legal, international, and advocacy perspectives across the
spectrum — it’ll fill a huge gap in the blogosphere. The wiki can be a
place for resources for people and organizations wanting information
about privacy and online civil liberties; and Twitter can be a way to
reach out to communities that historically haven’t been involved with
CFP.

It won’t all happen over night, of course … but the more people who
participate, the more quickly we’ll get there. So please, check it out
… and get involved!

Jon, Katitza
     governance at lists.cpsr.org