[governance] Workshop on Internet's Core Values.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:14:49 EDT 2009

Hello All,

(not worded as a proposal)

Internet is an Internet-work of people. To quote what I heard from someone
from Latin America at the at-Large summit at Mexio, "Behind every computer
is a beating heart".

Intenet as it emerged has connected users across the globe and has caused
tremendous positive changes in our lives. It is the core values of Internet
that has made it possible for all this to happen. Without these core values,
the world would be a different place to live in.

Changes in the way Internet works will change the way we live.

If we can propose a workshop to define and declare the Internet's Core
Values, the presentations and debates would raise and answer the following
questions:

What is Internet?
What are the essentail characteristics, principles and values of the
Internet?  ( freedom of expression, open standards, shared ownership or
non-ownership?, unregualted? controlled? loosely co-ordinated?
community-administered? people-managed? unmanaged? , end to end,
non-intermeidated? uncensored? global, unified...  I am not making
an accurate or exhaustive list as that is what the workshop is set to try to
achieve.

A definition of the fundamental values would then become a "Declaration of
the Internet" ???

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
India.