[governance] Call for Action: Your comments can Support

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:00:24 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Robin Gross <Robin at imaginelaw.com> wrote:

> Please fill out the form below.
> Name: McTim
>
> Postal address: Postal mail not possible
>
> email address for adding to the NCUC-discuss list:  mctim at bushnet.net
>
> retype email address: mctim at bushnet.net
>
> Please tell us which of the following three eligibility categories applies
> to you:
> a) I am an individual who has registered domain names for personal, family
> or noncommercial use;
> b) I am an individual Internet user who is primarily concerned with the
> public interest
> aspects of domain name policy, and I am not represented in ICANN through
> membership in
> another Supporting Organization or GNSO Stakeholder Group;
> c) I am employed by or a member of a large noncommercial organizations
> (universities,
> colleges, large NGOs) and it is too complicated or I lack the standing to
> get my
> organization to join on an organizational basis.
> Check the one that applies best to you:
> a) _x__
> b) ___
> c) ___

In the interests of full disclosure, I am on a number of ICANN mailing
lists already, including At-Large, AfRALO, and AfrICANN, although I am
not a member of a RALO (as far as I know).  In addition, I am active
in various IETF and RIR policy fora, volunteer occasionally for
AfriNIC events and sometimes get paid to give advice and training to
ISPs who are also LIRs.

Does this make me "represented in ICANN through  membership in another
Supporting Organization"  ??

I just don't know.  If someone wanted to keep me off the NCSG, they
could claim I was represented by the ASO, which wouldn't be entirely
untrue, but wouldn't be entirely accurate either.

I think you can now see where my opposition to the proposed rules of
membership arise.  I may be a corner case, but then again, I may be
just the kind of person you are trying to attract!

> I agree to advocate a non-commercial, public-interest position within the
> constituency.
> AGREE__x__      DISAGREE___
>
> Return this text as an email to NCUC Chair, Robin Gross,
> rgross at ipjustice.org
> We will evaluate your application and get back to you soon.

I look forward to your reply.

--
Cheers,

McTim