[governance] Call for Action: Your comments can Support

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Mar 24 16:06:52 EDT 2009

> From: George Sadowsky [mailto:george.sadowsky at attglobal.net]
> Bill,
>
> I wonder if you (or someone else) could address the problem of
> potential capture.

George,
I think I am in a better position to answer this, having spent the last decade laboring in the vineyards (or landfills) of the DNSO/GNSO.

The most clear and direct protection against "capture" of a Stakeholder Group is the simple fact that these SGs in isolation have, for practical purposes, very little power.

The entire NCSG will have one quarter of the votes on a Council. This Council does not have all that much power either - it is in the business of creating and chartering Working Groups (WGs). The WGs in turn must achieve some of kind "consensus" on an output before it goes before the Council for approval.

Given the limited role of a single Stakeholder Group (SG), the most important form of protection against capture comes from making sure that one SG cannot be taken over by (or stacked with hidden agents of) another SG. That would mean protecting against infiltration by Commercial users, or by Registries and Registrars.

If you read the eligibility requirements of the NCSG charter, you can see that there are clear protections against such infiltration - members of other SGs are ineligible, and membership in the NCSG is mutually exclusive with membership in any other SG. (Note that McTim complained about this, almost certainly innocently, not knowing the implications of allowing cross-membership in the GNSO's delicately balanced structure).

I can say that in the entire history of the DNSO/GNSO, there have been _a few_ attempts by interest groups to invade or infiltrate the noncommercial constituency. None have been successful, but it is worthwhile to recount these to give some indication of where the threat might come from. First, at the beginning (1999) there was an attempt by representatives of Country code TLDs (ccTLDs) to join and dominate the Noncommercial constituency, even though they already had their own constituency. They claimed they were nonprofit organizations (and indeed, many were). There was also an attempt by registrars (e.g., CORE) to claim that they were nonprofit and also should get a double vote by joining the noncommercial constituency. Those of us involved in forming the Noncommercial constituency and protecting its independence insisted that as suppliers they belonged in the ccTLD or registrar constituencies, respectively. And we politely (well, perhaps not so always so politely) asked them to get out. We were scolded by the likes of Esther Dyson and Mike Roberts for being "exclusionary" but we were of course right and that was that. Indeed, some of the ill-will the NCUC still suffers from dates back to this early attempt to protect itself against "capture."

The second incident is ocurring right now. No need to inflame things further by naming names and going into the details; suffice it to say that certain business interests who are unhappy about losing their 3 to 1 voting advantage in the GNSO would be quite interested in splitting the NCSG into warring factions, one of whose agendas, which might be summarized as "control the Internet in the name of safety" just happens to align comfortably with that of many of the multinational brand holders who dominate the Commercial SG. Such a strategy would allow them to "capture" the user House, although even that would not allow them to capture the GNSO as a whole.

In short, the threat of capture does not now, and never has come from unrestricted individual membership. It comes from invasions or manipulations from other SGs. Only when SGs combine to form a captured majority of a GNSO Council can it pose a real threat.

The most persistent and difficult problem faced by the Noncommercial SG is now, and probably always will be the problem of finding volunteers who are crazy enough to devote massive amounts of their time to doing the difficult, uncompensated work that ICANN demands. There is not now, and probably never will be, people standing in line for that function.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org