[governance] Workshop on the role of Government in IG

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Mar 24 07:39:19 EDT 2009

Hi Bertrand,

On Mar 24, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Exactly my point : "respective roles" is the core issue (key but
> most ambiguous part of the IG definition) and the categorization of
> article 35 is not doing justice enough to the complexity of
> overlapping - and shared - responsibilities. Without getting into
> the discussion now (that will take us far), this is exactly what
> such a workshop should address.
>
> Wolfgang is right on point in his response to our exchange : the
> question is not to segregate the different categories of actors with
> exclusive roles (higher and lower ones) but to study how they
> interact in processes (PDPs, ...).

In part it's a framing problem---invoking the respective roles"
language as a starting point could, in some eyes, reify the categories
and legitimate their supposedly distinct boundaries in a manner that's
unhelpful (this was a very political thing if you recall, and CS
people including the caucus took a little heat for questioning it four
years ago).  And that could lead to an operational problem---no matter
how much you say we're talking about relationships not roles,
Wolgang's triangles and not monads, I suspect the discussion will
revert back to the baseline and government reps (ok, you excepted)
might get stuck on the "we're sovereigns with exclusive authority to
make policy" mantra.

I'd rather not frame it as exploring/building on the roles language
and just say it's a workshop about modeling MS processes in different
IG issue spaces.  Focus on the lines transversing each circle, rather
than whether in this case circle A is bigger than circle B while in
that case B is bigger than C and so on.

> But let's not launch a whole thread at that stage. Even if it is a
> great topic. Sorry for having started it :-) Just suggest the
> workshop.

Fair nuff.  Hopefully the word smithing will manage this deftly.

Bill
     governance at lists.cpsr.org