[governance] Who owns the Internet?

Craig Simon cls at rkey.com
Fri Mar 20 09:13:04 EDT 2009

My Ph.D dissertation dealt extensively with the very similar question of
who "controls" the Internet. My conclusion was that the deployment of
power on the Internet, as in any human society, is best understood as a
relationship between guides, gatekeepers, and peers.

There may not be an identifiable owner/gatekeeper for the Internet as a
whole, but one can certainly identify gatekeepers for specific resources
and processes. When the subject turns to overarching principles, values,
and norms (the unenforced rules that human agents nevertheless feel
owned by), one can identify the guides who first articulated them.
Finally, the actions of peers serve to amplify the powers of guides and
gatekeepers: transactions between peers generally recapitulate and
entrench the institutional standing of all agents within the system.
Peers can also instantiate new standings, creating new forms of
ownership and control, but that's another story.

If you're interested in a wordier version of what I just wrote, here's a
link to the dissertation:

http://www.rkey.com/essays/diss.pdf

Craig Simon

     governance at lists.cpsr.org