AW: [governance] Article: "Italy moves to place controls on Internet

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Mar 12 12:47:03 EDT 2009

his is right. In my "triangular" ITU is part of the UN process. But also this is open for innovation. My reading from the WTPF is that ITU wants to keep the door open to be prepared for something which comes out from new developments. There is the ITU Plenipotentiary in 2010 and in the ITU the member states makes decisions. There is no need to launch a new negotiation process. You have already ITU Resolution 102 which is a negotiaiton mandate (to a certain degree). But it needs the wllingness of the G 20 governments to use the ITU. Insofar I see ITU more or less subordinated to G 20 (IG 20) not in a formal sense that IG 20 decidees and ITU (and other instiutions) execute, but as part of a vry high level consultation and coodination process which enableas thevarious other governmental and non-govenrmental players to make decisions in their respective field of responsibility. It is part of a multilayer multiplayer mechanism where yu have no formal hierarchie but visible power.

wolfgang