AW: [governance] Article: "Italy moves to place controls on Internet

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Mar 12 12:29:18 EDT 2009

Dear list

Here is my approach after the discussions in Mexico.

There will be - unavoidably - a new role for governments in Internet Governance for various reasons in the years ahead. (Post JPA, enhanced cooperation in a new political and economic environment, lessons learned from the failure of self regulation of the banking sector etc.).

What are the options fort a role of governments in Internet Governance?

1. an enhanced GAC. Makes no real sense if you look which government sends whom to the GAC (low level buerocrats with no real decision making capacity at home). Additionally as long as there is no solution for the China/Taiwan issue and Russia is only an observer GAC is not really representative.

2. an international treaty (as a result of the process of enhanced cooperation among governments as part of the WSIS process) negotiated within the UN system . Makes also little sense because such treaty negotiations would last for 15 years or more.

3. OECD (is unlikely because it is not universal)

4. An high level intergovernmental political body which inlcudes the major players and has the power to push various organisations which have negotiations power to start processes on an issue by issue basis. The G 7 played such a role under the Clinton Administration to a certain degree. They organized in 1995 the famous Brussels G 7 Information Society Summit where they invited also South African president MBeki. The US government pushed for a "Global Information Infrastructure Initiative" (GII). There was already a parallel business roundtable which signalled the multistakeholder approach. One year later was the  G7 meeting in Midrand. And inn 2000 the G 7 adopted the "Okinawa Information Society Declaration" and launched the DotForce. This process collapsed with the Bush Administration. No other G 7 member was reallz interested to continue with DotForce which became later part of the UNICTTF which now is the GAID. I could imagine that the Obama administration will come back to this in the framework of forthcoming G 7/8 meeting. But the world has changed since 2000 and the  G 7 would be todaz too narrow if it comes to the Internet. You need the G 20 which includes BRIC. The acronym which I propose for this would be IG 20. With an IG 20 you would have a gobal Internet institutional architecture where IGF, ICANN and IG 20 would be combined in form of a network where the various institutions act in their specific roles without subordination but with mutual respect. This would be one step int this new territory of unchartered water which is called cyberspace.

Wolfgang