[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Mar 2 12:56:40 EST 2009

In message <47EEF95DBFE7422FA5DC2FC1E310709A at GIH.CO.UK>, at 11:28:32 on
Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com> writes
>> The theme that I took away from the public meetings last week was
>>that the IGF should work in those areas where an existing worldwide
>>*solution* to a governance "issue" isn't already covered. As far as  I
>>know, for example, there isn't a worldwide anti-spam or  anti-phishing
>>agency, so that would be within remit to discuss and  attempt to
>>combine existing knowledge and skills.
>
>Could you please expand on this? I'm not sure what the scope, limits,
>and powers of such an agency would be and I'd be interested in hearing
>the proposals. Do DNS blacklists fall under this designation?

I don't have any specific proposals to share with this list, but in
general the IGF might be regarded as looking for "vacuums" to fill, and
I was giving some examples of (hopefully non-contentious) things I
regarded as vacuums, and which I hear mentioned many times from the
floor as candidates for "something [more] should be done" in various
public policy fora.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org