[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Mar 2 11:28:54 EST 2009

In message <8DA959DB-0C49-44A5-999D-F64463BBD541 at ras.eu.org>, at
16:38:16 on Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org>
writes
>> The theme that I took away from the public meetings last week was
>>that the IGF should work in those areas where an existing worldwide
>>*solution* to a governance "issue" isn't already covered. As far as I
>>know, for example, there isn't a worldwide anti-spam or anti- phishing
>>agency, so that would be within remit to discuss and attempt to
>>combine existing knowledge and skills.
>
>There is, e.g., the London Action Plan (http://
>www.londonactionplan.org/), which describes itself as "international
>spam enforcement network". Not to mention that UN agencies and other
>arenas are also working on these issues.

I would characterise LAP as a (worthwile, clearly) umbrella
organisation, rather than a worldwide policy setting forum (which would
require all the members to agree to implement privacy laws in their
country using a model somewhat like ratification of the Cybercrime
Convention), or an enforcement agency with staff seconded to it running
a reporting hotline, taking down botnets etc.

>And if there is an issue which is addressed at all levels and
>everywhere, it is indeed "child protection". Yet, if I've well
>understood, the IGF is eager to address it,

Eagerness, in this instance, is something exhibited by would-be workshop
organisers.

>and on top of this has  the 'sentiment' that it has now 'matured' in
>IGF circles.

The sentiment (not mine, the forum's), if I read it correctly, is that
there's no point in more meetings simply to express agreement.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org