[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Mar 2 05:56:21 EST 2009

In message
<f65fb55e0903012154s1c4335c0lcf68a7fe735d95a4 at mail.gmail.com>, at
08:54:38 on Mon, 2 Mar 2009, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> writes
>> Thanks Parminder for an excellent summary. Although I wasn’t present at the
>> MAG part of proceedings I did hear afterwards that it was dominated, as you
>> say, by a debate on “internationalization of CIR” which many found either
>> confusing or annoying.
>
>What's always been confusing and a bit annoying to me is that we are
>focusing on the wrong forum for this issue.
>
>The names and numbers are done by the IANA,

erm, the names are done by ICANN, and I'm not sure (without the benefit
of an official report from the MAG meeting, not yet available) what an
internationalised "number" is - although I am aware that RIRs receive
applications (which they successfully deal with) in multiple languages
and scripts.

>so if we want to make these "CIRs" more "international" in any way
>whatsoever, we need to discuss this in Mexico City this week, NOT in
>Geneva last week.

I was under the impression that the IGF was supposed to be
"non-duplicative", and Nitin re-emphasised that last week.

To that extent (and repeating the disclaimer about the MAG report,
above) it's true that much (most, even) of this week's proceedings in
Mexico City seem to be about either IDNs, or associated issues such as
reserving [some definition of] geographic names in new gTLDs.

Or maybe I'm just repeating one half of the "polarised debate", and look
forward to hearing the other half.
--
Roland Perry
in Mexico City this week, in Geneva (public days) last week.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org