[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 1 06:11:18 EST 2009

Hi All,

I do not have my notes with me and may add more points later, but
thought will share some impressions from IGF open consultations and MAG
meeting right away. Other who attended may add their comments.

Review of IGF Hyderabad indicated a strong desire among the participants
that the IGF should now move on from being an IGF 101, or a IGF for
dummies, and deal with more clearly substantive issues, with some
possibilities of moving forward on them. This directly connects to the
sentiment that was prevalent in the closing session of IGF Hyderabad. it
appears that there is general agreement to take some issues that have
greater level of agreement to 'round tables' for possible recommendation
making. Two issues that seem to be headed in this direction are (1)
child protection and (2) disability related access issues (these were
mentioned in the open consultation but the proposal was developed
further in the MAG meeting). However the final decision on either the
round table format or the issues to be taken up has not been taken, and
this will decided by the re-constituted MAG in May. However, it is this
new format that mostly likely will mark the next IGF meeting.

On the WSIS mandated review of the IGF process, my impression is that it
appears increasingly unlikely that there will be an external
evaluation.  It seems to be mentioned less and less. However there is no
decision on this, and this is only my impression. Others may contribute
theirs. The meeting of IGC members during the lunch on Tuesday seemed in
favour of seeking an quantitative analysis of the IGF meetings on
various parametres of participation, impact/ output etc, and we can
further develop this proposal.

Within the MAG, while there seemed to be an early willingness to move
forward in a spirit of favoring open discussion on, what some may
consider as, contentious topics, midway, on the second day, brakes
seemed to got applied, and the meeting fell into a very polarized debate
on whether 'internationalization  of IG (or CIR management)  was a  fit
theme to discuss. This debate seemed to negate much progress on the next
meeting's structure and agenda not only on this theme but also on
others. The first draft of the program paper should be soon out, and it
is important to watch out for it.

Meanwhile, the three statements developed by the IGC were read out in
the open consultations. The proposal to make 'internet rights and
principles' as the overall theme for the next IGF received support from
many civil society participants. Reps from at least two governments  -
Swiss and El Salvador - also supported this theme. This is encouraging.
However no rep from the technical community and the private sector
expressed support. We may need them to support this proposal. During the
MAG however some state reps were not too keen on making the above as the
overall theme. There was also a specific objection to using the term
'internet rights' which may look like meaning there was a new and
accepted category of rights. I have now, on the MAG email list, proposed
that we may use the term 'internet and rights' or 'an rights based
approach to IG' to address the above objection. However, we need to
canvass more support with gov reps that may be helpful, and also seek
the support of technical community and the private sector. If we cannot
get this as the overall theme, we should at least seek a main session
discussion on it.

I also proposed 'Network Neutrality' or 'principles of an open
architecture of the Internet'. There was some support but the discussion
did not go far. we may need to again take it up in May. There was a lot
of discussion around privacy issues and how they should be framed for a
discussion at the next IGF.

I also proposed that in light of broadband investments becoming a key
part of many a 'stimulus packages' in many countries of the North, this
issue and its overall ramifications and significance for how we may look
at broadband more and more as a key social infrastructure, and
investments into it from the lens of 'social overhead capital' , should
be taken up as a key 'access' issue at the IGF. I found some key members
supporting this idea, and I think it is an interesting one to explore
further.

Thanks

Parminder