[governance] TR: Apologies and thanks

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Sun Jun 28 10:36:16 EDT 2009

Dear McTim

You wrote :
This is what IXen do. Once we have at least 2 cables per coast in
> Africa (and fiber backhaul to the interior) this need SHOULD become
> moot. It will, in theory, no longer matter if traffic leaves Africa,
> just as it doesn't matter if traffic from a European User transits the
> USA on it's journey to a European server (and back).

What is IXen ?
The problem isn't "to moot" once the "two cables per coast ..." exist, BUT to avoid any cable to be laid and paid if it isn't an INTEGRATED part in an efficient target network.
In addition I'd remind you that every transport and transit has a cost ! Even transporting and changing photons in electrons and conversely ! And for Gigapackets to cross twice the Atlantic it has a price, even for (richer) Europeans. As an enginer I cannot accept such schemes based on short financial views be guidelines in network design. Especially of one keeps in mind what happened -and how many billions were spent without any further use- during the dot.com bubble. Just an example, there were at that time 23 "pan-european networks" existing in parallel and actually some of them are simply forgotten ... If we are to help Africa in its way for development we should be very careful and "technology and econoy driven" in our proposals especially as OPERATION & MAINTENANCE is the other major problem in any network, and more particularly in Africa than in the RoW. A good design for a network is this one that is resilient, survivable, upgradable, maintenable ... and affordable for the operators over the lifetime.

< In Africa, most of our traffic leaves the continent, as there isn't
> the local content and applications available to keep traffic within
> the continent.

As a friend of Africa I cannot accept this statement. I hope that Africans will progressively (and at a good pace) develop THEIR own content and applications and put them as soon as possible on the "pipes" for the sake of their populations, economy and culture ! Shouldn't the CS from everywhere support strongly this hope ?

All the best

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT